Office: Chemistry Research 113
Phone: (970) 495-4168
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley
The magnetic moments of electronic and nuclear spins play important roles in applications spanning biomedical imaging, spintronics, and renewable energy. Here, the ability to directly control electronic and nuclear spins is absolutely vital. In all but a few cases, however, such control is notoriously expensive, requiring enormous magnetic fields or extremely low temperatures. My group will bring a perspective from the frontier of physics and inorganic chemistry to the challenge of controlling spins under facile conditions. Specifically, we will develop chemical design principles for materials and molecules that permit the command of spin. In pursuit of this goal, students in my group will comprehensively engage their research, starting from synthesis and proceeding to modern physical methods and analysis. Ultimately, this training will be harnessed to develop radically new probes for magnetic resonance imaging and photochemical catalysts.
Awards and Recognition
- Outstanding Researcher Award (International Institute of Nanotechnology, 2016)
- SciFinder Future Leader Award (CAS, 2016)
- Award for Ph.D. Thesis in Molecular Magnetism (European Institute of Molecular Magnetism, 2016)
- "Unexpected Suppression of Spin-Lattice Relaxation via High Magnetic Field in a High-Spin Iron(III) Complex" Zadrozny, J. M.; Graham, M. J.; Krzyaniak, M. D.; Wasielewski, M. R.; Freedman, D. E. Chem. Commun. 2016, 52, 10175-10178.
- "Millisecond Coherence Time in a Tunable Molecular Electronic Spin Qubit" Zadrozny, J. M.; Niklas, J.; Poluektov, O. G.; Freedman, D. E. ACS Cent. Sci. 2015, 1, 488-492.
- "Multiple Quantum Coherence from Hyperfine Transitions in a Vanadium(IV) Complex" Zadrozny, J. M.; Niklas, J.; Poluektov, O. G.; Freedman, D. E. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 15841-15844.
- "Mössbauer Spectroscopy as a Probe of Magnetization Dynamics in the Linear Iron(I) and Iron(II) Complexes [Fe(C(SiMe3)3)2]1-/0" Zadrozny, J. M.; Xiao, D. J.; Long, J. R.; Atanasov, M.; Neese, F.; Grandjean, F.; Long, G. J. Inorg. Chem. 2013, 52, 13123-13131.
- "Magnetic Blocking in a Linear Iron(I) Complex" Zadrozny, J. M.; Xiao, D. J.; Atanasov, M.; Long, G. J.; Grandjean, F.; Neese, F.; Long, J. R. Nature Chem. 2013, 5, 577-581.
- "Slow Magnetization Dynamics in a Series of Two-Coordinate Iron(II) Complexes" Zadrozny, J. M.; Atanasov, M.; Bryan, A. M.; Lin, C.-Y.; Rekken, B. D.; Power, P. P.; Neese, F.; Long, J. R. Chem. Sci. 2013, 4, 125-138.
- "Slow Magnetic Relaxation in a Pseudotetrahedral Cobalt(II) Complex with Easy-Plane Anisotropy" Zadrozny, J. M.; Liu, J.; Piro, N. A.; Chang, C. J.; Hill, S.; Long, J. R. Chem. Commun. 2012, 48, 3927-3939.
- "Slow Magnetic Relaxation at Zero Field in the Tetrahedral Complex [Co(SPh)4]2-" Zadrozny, J. M.; Long, J. R. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 20732-20734.