Office: Chemistry Research 113
Phone: (970) 495-4168
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=NcAcMrMAAAAJ&hl=en
- B.S. Virginia Tech
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley
- Postdoctoral Appointment, Northwestern University
The magnetic moments of electrons and nuclei play important roles in applications spanning biomedical imaging, spintronics, and renewable energy. My group seeks to understand how chemical composition enables the dynamic and static control of these magnetic units. Specifically, we develop chemical design principles for materials and molecules that permit the command of the quantum origin of magnetism - spin. In pursuit of this goal, students in my group perform inorganic synthesis and modern spectroscopic and magnetic analyses. Current applications that we are working toward are radically new probes for magnetic resonance imaging, novel magnetic materials, and systems with reactivity controlled through magnetism.
Awards and Recognition
- Trailblazer Award (National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, 2018)
- Outstanding Researcher Award (International Institute of Nanotechnology, 2016)
- SciFinder Future Leader Award (CAS, 2016)
- Award for Ph.D. Thesis in Molecular Magnetism (European Institute of Molecular Magnetism, 2016)
- "Counterion Influence on Dynamic Spin Properties in a V(IV) Complex" Lin, C.-Y.; Ngendahimana, T.; Eaton, G. R.; Eaton, S. S.; Zadrozny, J. M. Chem. Sci. 2019, 10, 548-555.
- "A Porous Array of Clock Qubits" Zadrozny, J. M.; Gallagher, A. T.; Harris, T. D.; Freedman, D. E. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 7089-7094.
- "Millisecond Coherence Time in a Tunable Molecular Electronic Spin Qubit" Zadrozny, J. M.; Niklas, J.; Poluektov, O. G.; Freedman, D. E. ACS Cent. Sci. 2015, 1, 488-492.
- "Mössbauer Spectroscopy as a Probe of Magnetization Dynamics in the Linear Iron(I) and Iron(II) Complexes [Fe(C(SiMe3)3)2]1-/0" Zadrozny, J. M.; Xiao, D. J.; Long, J. R.; Atanasov, M.; Neese, F.; Grandjean, F.; Long, G. J. Inorg. Chem. 2013, 52, 13123-13131.
- "Magnetic Blocking in a Linear Iron(I) Complex" Zadrozny, J. M.; Xiao, D. J.; Atanasov, M.; Long, G. J.; Grandjean, F.; Neese, F.; Long, J. R. Nature Chem. 2013, 5, 577-581.
- "Slow Magnetization Dynamics in a Series of Two-Coordinate Iron(II) Complexes" Zadrozny, J. M.; Atanasov, M.; Bryan, A. M.; Lin, C.-Y.; Rekken, B. D.; Power, P. P.; Neese, F.; Long, J. R. Chem. Sci. 2013, 4, 125-138.
- "Slow Magnetic Relaxation in a Pseudotetrahedral Cobalt(II) Complex with Easy-Plane Anisotropy" Zadrozny, J. M.; Liu, J.; Piro, N. A.; Chang, C. J.; Hill, S.; Long, J. R. Chem. Commun. 2012, 48, 3927-3939.
- "Slow Magnetic Relaxation at Zero Field in the Tetrahedral Complex [Co(SPh)4]2-" Zadrozny, J. M.; Long, J. R. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 20732-20734.