Phone: (970) 491-3096
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ykpxpW8AAAAJ&hl=en
- B.S., State University of New York (SUNY)-Binghamton
- Ph.D., Colorado State University
- NSF ACC-F Postdoctoral Fellow, Cornell University
My research program is driven by the widely recognized and urgent need to develop massively-scalable renewable energy technologies. Nanoscale materials are promising low-cost light absorbers for solar energy conversion into chemical fuels or electricity, but it is unclear how the chemical, electronic, and physical properties of individual nanomaterials affect their collective function. My group will develop new analytical tools to visualize device function on the nanoscale and use this knowledge to guide the development of high-efficiency devices.
Prospective students and postdocs are strongly encouraged to contact Justin!
Honors & Awards
- 2017 Norman Edmund Inspirational Award
- 2017 Air Force Young Investigator Award
- 2011 NSF ACC-F Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2006 Walter E. Kaskin Award in Physical Chemistry
- Isenberg, A. E.; Todt, M. A.; Wang, L.; Sambur, J. B.; “The Role of Photogenerated Iodine on the Energy Conversion Properties of MoSe2 Nanoflake Liquid Junction Photovoltaics” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces., 2018. Article ASAP.
- Todt, M.A., Isenberg, A., Miller, E.M., Nanayakkara, S.U., Sambur, J.B.; “Single Nanoflake Photoelectrochemistry Reveals Champion and Spectator Nanoflakes in Exfoliated MoSe2 Films” J. Phys. Chem. C., 2018, 122 (12), pp 6539–6545.
- Sambur, J.B.; Chen, T.Y.; Choudhary, E.; Chen, G.; Nissen, E.J.; Thomas, E.M.; Zou, N.; Chen, P.; “Sub-particle reaction and photocurrent mapping to optimize catalyst-modified photoanodes” Nature, 2016, 530, 77.
- Sambur, J.B.; Parkinson, B.A.; “Size Selective Photoetching of CdSe Quantum Dot Sensitizers on Single-Crystal TiO2” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2015, 6, 21916.
- Sambur, J.B.; Chen, P.; “Approaches to Single-Nanoparticle Catalysis” Ann. Rev. Phys. Chem., 2014, 65, 395.
- Sambur, J. B.; Parkinson, B. A., “CdSe/ZnS Core/Shell Quantum Dot Sensitization of Low Index TiO2 Single Crystal Surfaces” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 2130.
- Sambur, J. B.; Novet, T.; Parkinson, B. A., “Multiple Exciton Collection in a Sensitized Photovoltaic System” Science 2010, 330, 63.