FAQ – Major/Minor Requirements

Where can I find a list of courses required for the chemistry major/minor?

Chemistry Major Checksheet – ACS Certified

Chemistry Major Checksheet – Non-ACS Certified

Chemistry Minor Checksheet

Combined B.S./M.S. in Chemistry

You may also pick up a hard copy of these checksheets in the main office of the Chemistry building.

What is the difference between the ACS and Non-ACS certified degree?

ACS stands for American Chemical Society. The American Chemical Society is an organization that represents professional chemists and professionals that are involved in fields related to chemistry. The ACS has generated a list of guidelines that are used by institutions in developing course requirements for a chemistry major.

The practical differences between an ACS and a nonACS certified degree are:

  • An ACS major is required to take BC 351, CHEM 431, CHEM 461 and CHEM 476, none of which are required of the Non-ACS major.
  • An ACS major is required to take CHEM 440 AND CHEM 462, whereas the Non-ACS major may choose CHEM 440 OR CHEM 462.
  • An ACS major is required to take a upper-division statistics course (STAT 301 or STAT 315), whereas the Non-ACS major may substitute any upper-division MATH, STAT or CS course.

What are the benefits of choosing ACS versus Non-ACS?

The decision to choose the ACS over the Non-ACS certified degree will depend on a student’s specific career goals and interests. The ACS certified degree will help to prepare him or her for entrance into a chemistry graduate program by providing advanced coursework in the four traditional areas of chemistry. A student with a strong interest outside the area of chemistry or wishing to pursue a pre-professional program may consider the Non-ACS degree. A student should speak with a chemistry advisor to determine which concentration is most appropriate for his or her situation. (NB – All chemistry majors are required to choose one certification, ACS or Non-ACS.)

There is a mistake on my DARS. What should I do?

If the mistake relates to a course required by the chemistry major, contact your advisor.

If the mistake relates to an AUCC course, contact the Registrar.

How do I find out who my advisor is?


I am a graduating senior. Is there anything important that I need to know about graduation?

Yes.  You will need to meet with the key advisor at the beginning of the semester in which you will graduate to verify completion of the degree and sign a graduation contract.

Don’t see your question here?  email it to Carlos Olivo (Carlos.Olivo-Delgado@colostate.edu)