Intersection of Biomaterials and Bacteria: Targeting Bacterial Life Stages using Analytical Techniques
Research Seminar Abstract:
The implantation of medical devices often leads to bacterial colonization at the wound site, biofilm formation on the material, and possible rejection of the device.1 Polymeric materials (both synthetic and naturally derived) have been modified in an attempt to combat these clinical infections.2 Although work has been done in an attempt to eliminate or minimize bacterial infections on medical devices, the discovery of novel therapeutic options remains elusive in this field.3 My research aims to probe specific stages in the bacterial life cycle to better understand and eliminate these adverse interactions between the material and the bacteria. Specifically, I will be discussing three projects that target bacteria in the planktonic, pre-formed biofilm, and attachment stages onto various polymeric platforms. In the first two studies, nitric oxide (NO) was utilized as a biocidal agent from both an NO-releasing material and in solution to identify critical amounts needed to cause a significant reduction in Escherichia coli (E. coli), Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus), and Pseudomonas aeruginosa (P. aeruginosa).4,5 Lastly, a film composed of chitosan with blended metal–organic framework was investigated as an antibacterial surface to ultimately inhibit biofilm formation of P. aeruginosa.6 Taken together, these three studies provide insight into critical amounts of therapeutic agents needed to cause a significant reduction in three distinct bacterial life stages.
(1) Costerton, J. W.; Stewart, P. S.; Greenberg, E. P. Science 1999, 284, 1318.
(2) Hasan, J.; Crawford, R. J.; Ivanova, E. P. Trends Biotechnol. 2013, 31, 295.
(3) Cloutier, M.; Mantovani, D.; Rosei, F. Trends Biotechnol. 2015, 33, 637.
(4) Mann, M.N.; Neufeld, B.H.; Hawker, M.J.; Pegalajar-Jurado, A.; Paricio, L.N.; Reynolds, M.M.; Fisher, E.R. Biointerphases 2016, 11, 31005.
(5) Neufeld, B.H.; Reynolds, M.M. Biointerphases 2016, 11, 31012.
(6) Neufeld, B.H.; Neufeld, M.J; Lutzke, A.; Schweickart, S.M.; Reynolds, M.M. Manuscript in preparation.
Speaker: Bella Neufeld
Speaker Institution: Colorado State University
Event Date: 02-15-2017
Event Time: 4:00 PM
Event Location: Chemistry A101
Mixer Time: 3:45 PM
Mixer Location: Chemistry B101E
Host: M. Reynolds